About

My photo
Petersburg, MI, United States
Hello,I'm a respiratory Therapist Working at a long term Hospital and it's a thrill. Mostly the same patients which gives me the opportunity to really get to know them. I'm hoping with a passion to get into a PA program.

Monday, January 7, 2013

Michigan, journey for job interviews. Questions, canceled.

So I Received my Michigan RT license in the mail. Immediately applied for jobs, and soon after got phone calls for interviews. Left California with almost everything I own in a sub compact vehicle, Made it through the 2350 mile journey- with some interesting events a long the way, and now I'm back home in Michigan.

First job interview was at a long term care facility with some negative press.
Canceled on me a day before my interview. "Restructuring". So in 3 days I'll have my first RT job interview. It's alright with me that it's taken so long. Trying to be there for my mom in California was worth it. Though I was not considered worthy even for a phone interview there. Family comes first, and the hopelessness of getting a job there no matter what I tried was a learning and also a thoroughly tempering experience.

I was talking to my best friend here and he expressed to me that it was imperative to work on interviewing questions. Well I felt relatively comfortable being asked completely random clinical questions. "Yes they ask some of those, but it's mostly another type of question." Awkward, strange, personality questions. How you had or would respond in different social situations at work- as well as questions such as "What are your weaknesses."

I have no doubt that I could and would respond well and agreeably to almost any social situation at work owing to my even disposition and good temperament. But not having any forewarning that such questions would perhaps be asked in an RT position interview would have left me to respond initially with a blank stare, then some awkward improvised response.

Why should it be at all a challenge for me? In my mind Professionalism, especially in the medical field, would require a mature friendly reasonable response to any situation. Knowing and believing in that and applying it to myself, I would invariably respond in a mature, friendly reasonable way that was tailored in response to the exact situation. I am an intuitive person and so that is how I respond. So to answer a question about a situation, but without specifics can have a dumbfounding effect on me. What could I say that honestly and adequately expresses a response I would have in that general situation? Of curse it would take me a few minutes to properly formulate an answer.

As anything with school or life, practice makes perfect. I hope to impress whoever interviews me, and to then go on and work hard and smart and to impress whoever I work with. Out of respect for them, my school, my teachers, my family, and myself.

I'm grateful how an interview being canceled doesn't upset me that much. I would have made the best out of working there, specialized my trach care skills, and been happy for the job. But there are others and it's nice to have an interview somewhere else in three days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Experience

2013- Detroit Receiving Hospital: 40 Hours Full Time Night Shift Respiratory Therapist. (I feel so fortunate to be able to work in ICU's every night. The experience is incredible in this fast paced environment.)

2013 Lakeland Long term Rehab: Contingent Respiratory Therapist. (It's great to get experience in a more relaxed environment, working with home equipment that I would never see otherwise)


2010 – 2012 - Student Clinical Rotations

Clinical Site Locations and Contact Coordinators:

St. John Macomb-Oakland Hospital

Clinical Coordinator: Andrea Howard

(248) 967-7444, howarda@macomb.edu


Beaumont Hospital, Troy Campus

Clinical Coordinator: Susana Ristoski

(248) 964-0851, Sristoski@beaumonthospitals.com


Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak Campus

Clinical Coordinator: Steve Hammick

(248) 898-6027, Shamick@beaumonthospitals.com

Student clinical rotations included 40 weeks of hands on clinical experience including:

- ICU Ventilator management

- NICU & PICU

- Patient assessment and evaluation

- ER and floor treatments

- Arterial Blood Gas sampling and interpretation

- Capillary blood gas sampling and interpretation

- Interaction with physician, patient and family

- Positive, accurate and clear verbal communication

- Effective Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation

- Paper and electronic charting

- Patient transport on ventilators

- Ability to effectively use and follow protocols

- Chest physiotherapy and bronchial hygiene therapy

- Ventilator weaning and extubation

- Ventilator alarm trouble shooting

- Advanced modes such as PRVC and APRV

- Infant ventilators, Drager and transport

- BiPAP, CPAP, high flow nasal cannula.

- Tracheostomy care and T-piece set ups

- Assist with Bronchoscopy and intubation

- Stocking RCP supplies, etc.